Thursday 3 March 2011

PPLE post 4: The front seat explosion

I really enjoy the lecture this week. I was always interested in the topic of "different learning style"

First, I was very impressed with Steve's reaction. It would have been natural to feel upset with the student reaction which could be perceive as a personal failure or the student's aggressiveness. Instead, Steve focused on trying to understand and analyze the student reaction.  A good example to follow.
It made me think of 2 experiences I had in situations where I was "in charge": in the first one, I was  mentoring a new technician in my science lab. She was very meticulous and was following protocols to the letter. It drove me crazy. I tried to explain to her that it was important to understand WHY you are doing this experiment and while some steps must be followed very precisely,  others allowed more flexibility.
The second situation is with a 10 year old student from my french class. She is so stressed about doing her homework exactly the way the teacher asked that she can not think or do anything outside the instructions.
In both cases, I realize that their approaches resulted in very successful outcomes, but I felt very irritated about their behaviors. I see how exploring these models further will be essential to learn to accept and understand different styles, and consequently adapt our teaching to provide adequate education for all students.
My last point will be about the nature's learning pattern.  I have been thinking about the path leading to my career as a teacher as climbing a hill: some parts are very steep, some parts easier. I like the metaphor of the bird jumping off the nest, but there is an idea of lack of control in the fall.  I feel more secure climbing the hill, with more control over the steep parts and a choice of putting the effort to get to the next level.

PS: After 3 weeks of free fall, I was just starting to flap my wings and to build a new comfortable little nest at UC.....and I can already a new jump on the horizon: the beginning of the professional experience!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire,

    Feedback on your front seat explosion narrative. First, I'm glad to learn you've found your 'wings', and feel you have taken flight and are becoming comfortable with the course. This is good news!

    Regarding your comments on the front seat explosion situation - I totally agree with your assessment that Steve (the teacher) used a judicious amount of self-restraint and analysis to deal with this situation. I'm not so sure I would of reacted with such prudence. I also liked your explanation of the lab situation when you were 'in-charge'. Even though the situation, or personnel involved bothered you to a degree, you decided upon a professional and measured approach. I believe in our chosen profession - this is always the best policy, but in reality, difficult to perform on a regular basis.

    Your analogy to climbing a hill as you progress past each stage of the learning process was rather candid. You're not alone in this endeavor. We will experience small - but effective victories, and set-backs - as we weave on our way to becoming proficient and effective teaching professionals. Above all, in my opinion - its facing the realization that its our students who will be the benefactors of our desire and dedication to strive for quality education.

    MT

    ReplyDelete